List:       helix-open-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Open-discuss] per client watermarking
From:       Jeff Ayars <jeffa () real ! com>
Date:       2005-07-11 4:29:21

You can do this via SMIL.  Probably easiest to do something like this:

Using SMIL layout, place the 'watermark' over the video region.  Use
alphablending if you want a cool effect.

Send a Cookie with the SMIL file via HTTP from a web server to identify
Client A and Client B.

The SMIL file references a PNG (or .rt or .txt) of the 'wartermark' via
HTTP from the same web server (or at least one in the same domain so the
cookie sent with the SMIL gets sent back up).  Based on the cookie, the web
server determines which actual file to return.

You could also do something like automatically generate different SMIL
files via JSP/PHP/ASP if you want to but cookies are pretty easy and
delivering a different file based on a cookie lookup is pretty easy too.

SMIL is supported in both open and commercial helix products.

JEff