List:       helix-open-discuss
Subject:    [hxdiscuss] New web standards document (special attn: project owners)
From:       Rob Lanphier <robla () real ! com>
Date:       2003-12-17 19:21:46

Hi everyone,

For everyone who has access to adding new web pages (which, thanks to
the https://wideopen.helixcommunity.org project, constitutes most
licensees), I've created a new document discussing web standards.
Here's the link:
https://wideopen.helixcommunity.org/2003/webstandards

Over the long term, it'll hopefully evolve into a complete document on
par with a good coding standards document (like the Helix DNA Server
team has).  However, for now, it focuses on one issue, which is the
creation of new URLs.

This is a particularly important issue from my viewpoint, because I feel
we should be mindful of URL architecture as we add new documents.
Having a reasonably organized approach to the addition of new URLs is
the only way we can ensure that we'll be able to ensure that 404s are a
rare occurance on this website.

Project owners, PLEASE read this document.  You will be held accountable
to following the standards outlined here for your projects, and we may
have to start limiting CVS access to the www directories for those that
do not follow these standards.  The published standards are up for
debate, and I've published them in the wideopen project so that there's
no excuse for this document to ever be out of date, but absent any
discussion, I'd like for these guidelines to be in effect immediately.

Rob
--
Rob Lanphier, Helix Community Coordinator - RealNetworks
http://helixcommunity.org http://rtsp.org http://realnetworks.com