List:       helix-open-discuss
Subject:    Re: [hxdiscuss] help on Producer
From:       Steve McMillen <stevemc () real ! com>
Date:       2003-05-24 22:33:56

Adding dev@helix-producer.helixcommunity.org to the discussion.

This is great feedback.  The limitations are not really licensing (or at
least we have not gotten that far yet).  Its simply that the producer
project team has not had the time to direct any energies into extending
input file support on Linux.  There are actually a number of needs on
Linux input which include the need to upgrade the capture plug-ins to
support ALSA and Video4Linux 2 (instead of depending on backwards
compatible mode to OSS and Video4Linux 1 respectively).  Given these are
the defaults for the next major Linux kernel release, this is higher in
priority and were considering tackling these next on Linux.

The issue with compressed file input support on Linux is two fold as I
see it:
1. Some research is needed to understand where we can get the most bang
for the buck.  That is, what libraries are out there that give a wide
range of file input support.  If anyone already have a good
understanding of this issue, your comments would be very welcome.
2. Finding resources to implement wrapper input file format plug-ins to
whatever libraries are decided on as being worthwhile to integrate into
the producer architecture.

If anyone out there is interested in signing up for writing an input
file reader plug-in, we'd love to help get you started on the project.
In the meantime, I'll add "Compressed file input plug-ins for Linux" to
the Possible Community Projects
<https://helix-producer.helixcommunity.org/roadmap.htm#Possible_Community_Projects>
on the helix-producer roadmap.

Thanks, Steve