List:       helix-open-discuss
Subject:    Re: [hxdiscuss] Does the Win32 client player actually work....???
From:       Rob Lanphier <robla () real ! com>
Date:       2003-04-18 22:59:35

Hi PubPost,

Thanks for taking the time to talk this one through.  I think this is a
good discussion to have, because based on what you're saying, we haven't
made our goals clear.  As a result, you're getting the sense that an
implied social contract has been broken.

When we launched the community and released the source code for the
Helix DNA Client, our goal was to enable the industry to use the same
great media playback technology that we use.  We did that, because we
realized that the industry is very fragmented right now, and we wanted
to put something out there that everyone could rally around.  So, we
made the source code for our media engine available under an open source
license.

To be clear, one thing that was never a goal was for RealNetworks to
replace the RealOne Player with an alternate player.  Our focus remains
on improving RealOne Player.  What's changed is that we're giving others
the abilities to either improve on what we do, and/or create new players
not from RealNetworks.  While no one has done that on the Windows
platform just yet, that doesn't mean it will never happen.

What you are going to find is that there's been a *lot* of continuing
work on the media engine, because that's the part that matters to our
commercial products.  We released the Helix DNA Client as a starting
point for anyone who would like to build on top of it, and we're seeing
some promising developments.  For example, we just checked in some
pretty big changes to the Linux client interface from a community member
(Ryan Gammon), and he's taken the lead in doing more work there.  We're
hopeful that more folks will follow his lead.  We may even do more work
on these ourselves, but as I said, our focus remains on the media
engine.

So, in short, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not sure I can promise better
things in the future.  We're a commercial software company (publicly
traded), and there's only so much of our work we can give away.  The
only way to be sure that things will improve *for you* is for you to
contribute.  Contributing isn't just a matter of writing code; it could
be bug reports, documentation, advocacy, whatever.  Heck, you could even
go hire someone to write a player for you.  ;-)

Tongue in cheek comments aside, I really do hope that you'll stay, and
even better contribute.  Looking forward to more conversations.

Rob
---
Rob Lanphier, Helix Community Coordinator - RealNetworks
http://helixcommunity.org http://rtsp.org http://realnetworks.com