List:       haskell-prime
Subject:    Fractional/negative fixity?
From:       simonmar () microsoft ! com (Simon Marlow)
Date:       2006-11-15 6:18:56

Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
> I'm surprised that no one has mentioned showsPrec and readsPrec.
> Anything more complicated than negative fixities would require their
> interfaces to be changed.

That's a fine point.

So, as I see it the situation with this precedence stuff is that there were several \
vocal complaints about the proposal to extend precedences to allow negative and \
fractional precedence values, and not many proponents.  The point about \
showsPrec/readsPrec means that the extension is not quite as minimal as we thought, \
and would probably break some existing code.

Alternative schemes based on constructing a partial order between operators are being \
proposed, but these are out of the question for Haskell'.

So the default option is to do nothing, leaving us with the devil we know.  It's hard \
to guage the opinion of the community on these things, so if you strongly object to \
doing nothing, please speak up.

Cheers,
        Simon