List:       haskell-cafe
Subject:    Re: [Haskell-cafe] cabal-install sandbox with happy and alex
From:       Brandon Allbery <allbery.b () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-10-31 23:34:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+hs@mega-nerd.com>wrote:

> Badi' Abdul-Wahid wrote:
>
> > I've run into difficulty building happy and alex using the sandbox
> feature
> > of cabal-install 1.18.0.2.
> > Installation of dependencies succeeds but both happy and alex fail with:
> >
> >     setup: The program happy is required but it could not be found
> >
> > My workaround is to use the --only-dependencies flag, install the
> > dependencies, and manually install the packages.
>
> I've run into this problem myself on Linux. My solution is to install
> ghc, happy, alex, hlint and cabal-install from debian packages and
> everything else using cabal install (either with or without using
> sandboxes).

At a guess, both of you need to find the bin directory created *in the
sandbox* and add it to $PATH while working in the sandbox. Perhaps there is
some better way for cabal sandboxes to handle this automatically.

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net