List:       haskell-cafe
Subject:    Re: [Haskell-cafe] Libraries to compare trees?
From:       Rustom Mody <rustompmody () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-29 3:56:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Ozgur Akgun <ozgurakgun@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>

> On 27 October 2011 13:49, dokondr <dokondr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please advise on Haskell libraries to compare trees in textual
>> representation.
>> I need to compare both structure and node contents of two trees, find
>> similar sub-trees, and need some metric to measure distance between two
>> trees.
>>

> This might help: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gdiff-1.0
>
> Best,
> Ozgur

This is interesting.  Just putting some thoughts here. Please comment.

I am a user of emacs org-mode http://orgmode.org/.
Basically org imposes a tree structure onto plain text and when that is
appropriate its quite a nifty tool.  Recently there was some discussion on
the org list that diffs of org files were less than useful because while
org understands hierarchical structure, diff doesn't.

I wonder what would be involved in setting up a bi-directional pipe between
emacs and haskell so that orgmode could use gdiff's findings?