List:       haskell-beginners
Subject:    [Haskell-beginners] Sqlite3 pragma statements
From:       Paul Higham <polygame () mac ! com>
Date:       2013-04-28 16:02:27

I am using sqlite3 as a backend database for an application that I am writing in \
Haskell.  In the database schema there are a number of foreign key constraints but \
sqlite3 has the referential integrity constraint checking turned off by default.  To \
turn on the constraint checking one needs to have issued the following command

	pragma foreign_keys = ON;

for every connection to the database.  This works if done directly in the sqlite3 \
shell, but I want to do in from Haskell code.  The obvious thing to try would be

	runRaw conn "pragma foreign_keys = on"

and this does in fact run with no errors.  However the constraint checking does not \
appear to be happening since I can subsequently add rows to a table that violate the \
foreign key constraint.

I have found no documented way to issue pragma commands in either Database.HDBC or \
Database.HDBC.Sqlite3, nor has a google search turned up anything that works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanx!