List:       haskell
Subject:    Re: import List(..) // fromInteger etc.
From:       Ketil Malde <ketil () ii ! uib ! no>
Date:       2000-05-22 9:31:31

Jerzy Karczmarczuk <karczma@info.unicaen.fr> writes:

> I don't want to replace the entire Prelude. But I work with
> non-standard (*) mathematical objects, and this will continue for
> some time.

I'm probably missing a lot of obviousities, but if this is indeed the
most common desire, why is it so hard to split the Prelude into the
necessary and/or difficult/undesirable to replace portions (->, :, []
etc) and the convenience parts, like Num?  And make the latter (more)
optional?

> Down with the slavery imposed by the Standard Prelude!

Hooray!

> assigned within a declaration to a variable of your special class
> in C++, the compiler launches *this constructor YOU wish to be
> used*, and I don't see why we cannot have the same facility in
> Haskell.

I'd also note that while, in C++, overriding (mostly infix) operators
is useful and pretty, some operators are almost never overridden.  I
think one could reasonably make a distinction, possibly a rather
heuristic one.

> You write that you are happy with the Standard Prelude. May Allah
> be with you.

I'm not sure that is necessesary for Prelude happiness, but I imagine
it helps :-)

-kzm