List:       haskell
Subject:    RE: Singletons and Reflection
From:       "Daan Leijen" <daan () cs ! uu ! nl>
Date:       1999-12-15 12:48:49

> If we had implicit parameters then all graphics functions
> would have types
> (? context :: Context) => (explicit arguments) => IO (result)
> and the main
> function would be something like
>    do
>       context <- getContext
>       doBusiness with context=context

The catch is off course that every function with an explicit
type signature:

> explicit arguments -> IO result

needs a new type signature:

>  (?context :: Context) => explicit arguments -> IO result

Here, partial type declarations proposed by Koen Claessen would help.
Those declarations are quite usefull if one plans to use implicit
parameters a lot, allthough they improve flexibility in general.
i.e. one could write:

... => explicit arguments -> IO result

all the time and add any extra implicit arguments as needed
without change to existing source code.

All the best,
	Daan.