List:       haskell
Subject:    Re: advice wanted on GUI design patterns
From:       "Rob MacAulay" <rob () benchees ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-29 9:19:07

Josef Sveningsson wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > The question is: how do you structure a GUI program?
>
> There is one paper I can recommend that tries to answer this question;
> "Structuring Graphical Paradigms in TkGofer". It can be found here:
>
> http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~koen/Papers/tkgofer.ps
>
> The paper show how it's possible to structure programs using the MVC
> paradigm. The paper uses TkGofer, but I think it's possible to use the
> ideas in TclHaskell also (but I don't know since I haven't tested it).
>
> 	/Josef

Just before everyone starts writing MVC (model-view-controller)
GUIs, you should be aware that there is a later development called
MVP (model-view-presenter), which decouples the components
even more.

Main Dolphin site:

http://www.object-arts.com

Reference info (including MVP tutorial):

http://www.object-
arts.com/EducationCentre/Overviews/BaseOverviews.htm

I dont have any advice on how to implement this in Haskell, but if
you want to know more about MVP, you could look at the site for
Dolphin Smalltalk.

Dolphin, written by Andy Bower, contains a complete MVP
development environment, including a presenter development tool.
It is available for free download, so you can play around with the
paradigm before  translating it to Haskell.

Rob MacAulay

Rob MacAulay
Cambridge