List:       haskell
Subject:    Re: Gnome binding [was: Re: Licenses and Libraries]
From:       "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak () is ! tsukuba ! ac ! jp>
Date:       1999-09-22 4:25:03

Havoc Pennington <rhp@zirx.pair.com> wrote,

> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> >
> > Frankly, I'd like it to use Corba from Haskell with ORBit
> > alone rather to have to install much additional Gnome stuff I'm
> > probably not using elsewhere anyway.
>
> I just joined the list and the archives seem incomplete, so apologies if
> this has been covered. :-)
>
> The right thing to do is to have Haskell modules for standalone ORBit and
> for GNOME as well. There are two key things in GNOME:
>
>  - the CORBA spec doesn't establish mechanisms for authenticating
>    connections or finding the name server. GNOME adds "policy" on
>    this which is seperate from ORBit; in practice if you don't
>    use GNOME you have to implement this yourself

Currently, the object invocation is via name services tied
to an X session, but according to a recent message on one of
the Gnome mailing lists, the plan is to move to a more
flexible scheme.  Eventually - I hope - this will allow the
use of the basic Gnome CORBA infrastructure (ie, basically
the Gnorba library) without the rest - which is definitely
useful on say a headless server implementing Gnorba
services.

> ORBit is useful on its own, but the GNOME stuff is nice to have
> available as an add-on module if you need that functionality.

I'll definitely keep an eye on not introducing additional
dependencies in the Haskell layer - like in the GTK+Haskell
binding, you can import and use the `Gdk' module without the
`Gtk' module.

Manuel