List:       haskell
Subject:    Question
From:       fplangc-request () cs ! ucl ! ac ! uk
Date:       1991-08-01 16:45:18

From: fplangc-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Date:  1 Aug 91 16:12
Sender: Paul Hudak <hudak-paul@cs.yale.edu>
To: nikhil@crl.dec.com
Cc: fplangc@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Full-Name: Paul Hudak

Apparently there is no legal precedence for protection of a language
in the way Turner is attempting.  The only related instance I know of
is Adobe's attempted protection of postscript, but I have heard that
in fact that has failed (I don't know if it has failed legally or just
that they've given up), with many postscript clones floating around.

Simon and Phil/Richard both delayed publishing their textbooks because
of problems with Turner.  But I suspect this happened because they
were simply nice enough to try to appease him (perhaps they can shed
some more light on the issue).  In any case, I don't think we should
change Haskell a bit on Turner's account.  Remember, we did ask him to
join the committee when we first formed...

  -Paul