List:       haskell
Subject:    Re: [Haskell] ANN: CfN for new Haskell Prime language committee
From:       Gershom B <gershomb () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-25 18:16:31

On September 24, 2015 at 5:56:36 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel (hvr@gnu.org) wrote:
> Dear Haskell Community,
>
> In short, it's time to assemble a new Haskell Prime language
> committee. Please refer to the CfN at
>
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html
>
> for more details.

Thanks Herbert, for taking the lead in getting this process rolling again.

I just wanted to take a moment to note that, while I am not in academia myself, it \
seems to me that serving on the committee   should be a very good opportunity for \
graduate students and younger PhDs to engage in what is considered "service to the \
profession," as much so as reviewing papers or such. While nailing down extensions to \
a language spec is not necessarily a glamorous task, it is certainly one that is \
important. Furthermore, given the growth in the use of Haskell as a general purpose \
programming language adopted across many application domains, involvement with the \
language standardization process seems like it is potentially more of a "feather in \
one's professional cap" than in years prior.

Cheers,
Gershom