List:       haskell
Subject:    [Haskell] Paper announcement: Software Extension and Integration
From:       "Ralf Lammel" <Ralf.Lammel () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 11:42:41

Dear Haskellers,

The following paper may still benefit from your comment.
The final version is only due per 10 August 2006.

Thanks,
Ralf Laemmel

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/gpce06/

Title: Software Extension and Integration with Type Classes

Authors: Ralf Lämmel and Klaus Ostermann

Abstract

The abilities to extend a software module and to integrate a software module into an \
existing software system without changing existing source code are fundamental \
challenges in software engineering and programming-language design. We show that \
these challenges can be tackled, at the level of language expressiveness, by using \
the language concept of type classes, as it is available in the functional \
programming language Haskell. A detailed comparison with related work shows that type \
classes provide a powerful framework in which solutions to known software extension \
and integration problems can be provided. We also pinpoint several limitations of \
type classes in this context.