List:       haproxy
Subject:    Re: Session Definition
From:       Willy Tarreau <w () 1wt ! eu>
Date:       2010-11-25 5:59:11

Hi Richard,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 04:17:31PM +0000, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please give me the correct definition of a session under HAProxy, i've confused myself!

A session is the entity instanciated when an incoming connection is accepted.
Until recently, it could only be a TCP/TCPv6 session, but now it can also be
instanciated from a UNIX socket. It lives until that connection is closed. The
session owns the request and response buffers, and knows what server it is
talking to, if any. In HTTP, it is possible to process multiple requests in a
single session when keep-alive is enabled.

Depending who I'm talking to, I sometimes prefer to use the term "connection"
because application people tend to think about application sessions which are
completely different things. In haproxy, a session must be understood as a
layer 4 session.

Regards,
Willy