List:       haproxy
Subject:    Re: Capture and alter a 404 from an internal server
From:       Pedro Mata-Mouros Fonseca <pedro.matamouros () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-24 16:14:07

Hello,

>> Thank you so much Maciej, I will give it a try - although in that
>> referenced email it seems like a scary thing to do... A hard thing to
>> evaluate is the cost of having such rspirep processing in every
>> response coming from that specific frontend... Is it too overwhelming
>> to the performance?
>
> If you're running 10000 request/s you should be careful not to add too
> many such statements, but at lower speeds, you will almost not notice
> the extra CPU usage, particularly if you've built with the PCRE
> library,
> which is extremely fast. I have seen large configurations where people
> use between 100 and 200 regexes per request and it does not appear to
> affect them that much.

Not really running 10000 reqs/sec, maybe about 1000 in peak times, so
I'd say I'd want top performance for at least 3000 reqs/sec. If at
3000 reqs/sec it's not a problem to use that, then it's perfect.

>> Wouldn't this just be a perfect candidate for having it's own
>> directive, in the likes of errorfile and errorloc, but specifically
>> only for errors returned by servers instead of only HAProxy? ;-)
>> Something like:
>>
>> errorserverfile 404 /etc/haproxy/errorfiles/404generic.http
>> errorserverloc 404 http://127.0.0.1:8080/404generic.html
>
> it might be, but I don't really know if we need the "errorserverfile"
> or not. Becase if we only need the "errorserverloc" above, then you
> will be able to do it using ACLs when they're usable on the response
> path.

Thanks for this, using ACLs on the response path was something I
completely missed. Of course, the errorserverloc I suggested is
implemented by ACLs on responses. Would be, of course, nice to have
the "errorserverfile" functionality, but it's not really something
that cannot be accomplished with what we have now.

Cheers!

Pedro.