List:       haiku-web
Subject:    [haiku-web] Re: Recent haiku-os.org CSS code tag changes and
From:       Ryan Leavengood <leavengood () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-30 15:26:22

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Jorge G. Mare<koki@haikuzone.net> wrote:

> There were two different instances of changes made to the website that
> have affected the way your article looked. One was when I migrated the
> CSS classes from the User Guide to the website a week or two ago. The
> other instance was yesterday, when Scott pointed me to your article and
> asked me if it could be fixed; here, all I did was remove the background
> color tags used in the code, because they made the code unreadable.

I just looked at the original article revision and I see how
unreadable the code was. Of course that was due to the CSS changes not
working nicely with the articles hard-coded HTML. I say we blame VIM!
:)

> In both instances, you *were* notified. When Urias told you about the
> changes I made, it was not by chance; we were all there on IRC, and he
> mentioned it to us. Granted, it was not a real time notification, but
> hey, we are humans, aren't we? :)

Frankly I'm complaining more about the web-site not notifying me than
any of you guys.

> I recognize that the changes to the CSS classes (unintentionally) messed
> up your article. But that does not automatically invalidate the changes.
> The fact is, with so many articles tagging code in so many different
> ways, it is hard to tell what is right and what is wrong. We need to fix
> this, not just for your article, but for the website as a whole, and
> this is being worked on, as we speak, as part of the Drupal 6 upgrade.

I agree.

> So, in the upcoming website upgrade, adding code to an article should be
> as simple as copy and pasting it and wrapping it within <code></code>
> tags; you will get automatic highlighting, a choice of language, and
> options to turn on/off and otherwise control line numbers (works for
> both inline code and blocks of code). This should make it easier to post
> readable code and bring some much needed consistency too.

Sounds very nice!

--
Regards,
Ryan