List:       haiku-web
Subject:    [haiku-web] Re: drupal account spam getting out of control
From:       "Jorge G. Mare" <koki () haikuzone ! net>
Date:       2009-07-16 3:33:59

Howdy,

Urias McCullough wrote:
> We're getting a lot of spam accounts now - we're seeing ~75 new
> accounts a day that are mostly spam accounts. Fortunately, few of them
> leave comments, but their "Bio" usually is full of URLs about garbage
> - pimping their domains.
>
> I plan to clean them up - but I frankly don't have the time to tackle
> 50-75 a day, so we better get some better registration validation in
> place here soon...

Today I deleted a good number of old accounts that were never validated
and blocked and tagged with the "spammer" role approximately another 130
accounts that had placed spam URLs in various fields of the user
profile. As a result, our user database should be a lot cleaner now;
however, since the spammers create clean accounts first, and add the
spam URLs later, there surely are more spam accounts still hiding in the
existing user base.

To deal with those latent spammers currently in the hide, I also
installed a profile notification module (against the advise of Urias;
sorry my friend! :) ). This module sends an email whenever a new account
is created or an existing one is changed. The notification shows the
details of the activity, therefore allowing monitoring the profiles as
they change and taking swift action whenever any suspicious activity is
detected in the user profiles (ie., when a spam URL is added ).

This will hopefully help keep spam activity under control. If it
doesn't, we might as well
take a more radical approach.

Cheers,

Jorge