List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: HiDPI strategies, current and future
From:       Zenja Solaja <solaja () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-09-02 10:21:44

As an app developer, my biggest fear is auto scaling being applied
unconditionally when I really want a pixel perfect display.  Can you
imagine the frustration when a developer really wants 100px and gets 150px.

As an app developer, I've found that I really need to ask the appserver for
2 sets of metrics:
- font size (for widget bounds)
- generic scale factor (to apply to BScrollbar width/height and scale
buttons/pixmaps)

I find that a single scale factor may be insufficient for users. It's
common knowledge that older people need bigger font sizes, but they dont
necessarily want 200% larger widgets.  So IMHO Augustins suggestion to have
2 user options may be the most pragmatic (font and scale/density).

Realistically, Haiku on x64 doesn't have a massive library of legacy apps,
and I'd rather we spend time fixing the handful of corrupt apps than
forcing a scaling factor for all apps (and potentially frustrating devs
that do want pixel perfect control of the display). Users of x32 version of
Haiku are highly unlikely to be running a 4k screen anyway.