List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [webkit-dev] Proposal: Not supporting x86 w/o SSE2
From:       Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy () pulkomandy ! tk>
Date:       2018-08-01 6:08:54

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:57:42PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> My experience with NetSurf, Otter Browser and Qupzilla (< 2.0) on FreeBSD decidedly \
> favors Otter Browser, but I have never used any browser on Haiku except Web \
> Positive.

NetSurf is a little similar to WebKit, there is a common library and
then a native interface for each platform. My experience with the GTK
frontend was also not very good, but the Haiku one is a little better.
It's missing some features but these could easily be added as the
backend already handles most of it.

> Qupzilla 2.x is apparently a big improvement but uses the QtWebEngine based on \
> Chromium but adapted for Qt and would be much heavier than 1.8.9, hence not a good \
> bet for x86 without SSE2, and perhaps too much for current Haiku.

Let's focus on things that already run on Haiku :)

Both Qupzilla and Otter use the same WtWebKit engine currently,
eventually QtWebEngine will be updated and have the same problem.
Moreover, the RAM use for WebKit based browsers is quite high, and it is
likely that these non-SSE2 machines have 512MB of RAM or the like.

--
Adrien.