List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: V\OS Project Announcement (Haiku on linux)
From:       Ryan Leavengood <leavengood () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-07-31 14:00:44

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@pinc-software.de> wrote:

> He already unsubscribed from the lists for now, no need to ban one of us
> just because he's a little crazy when it comes to Haiku Inc.

Some people seem to get a little crazy about Haiku, Inc. and honestly
in most cases it is understandable because we don't communicate the
way we should. I bear a lot of the blame because I just haven't done
the work we needed to do like financial reports. But I've also been at
this for more than 15 years with no break, but fixing that isn't easy
because it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. We need a functional
organization to create new bylaws so we can have voting members, but
we kind of need the bylaws to have that functional organization.
Alexander has been trying to help and doing a lot more useful stuff
than the rest of us but he still can't do everything alone.

But I think one mistake people make is to confuse problems with Haiku,
Inc. with problems with Haiku the project. Even if we fix Haiku, Inc.
and make it "perfect" in a sense of what the community and project
needs, that may not fix some of the issues with the project. The
project has been going since, what, 2002, earlier? Yet we still don't
have even a R1 release. We let small things hold it up. We are
completely living up to the English cliche of "letting perfect be the
enemy of good." Now, I can't talk much about this because I haven't
contributed code or really even followed these mailing lists in years.
But sometimes it feels like the project needs a good kick in the pants
to maybe break some stagnation.

--
Regards,
Ryan