List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Re: V\OS Project Announcement (Haiku on linux)
From:       "Alexander von Gluck IV" <kallisti5 () unixzen ! com>
Date:       2018-07-30 13:39:47

July 29, 2018 10:08 AM, "Dario Casalinuovo" <b.vitruvio@gmail.com \
(mailto:b.vitruvio@gmail.com?to=%22Dario%20Casalinuovo%22%20<b.vitruvio@gmail.com>)> \
wrote:  On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Ed Robbins <dmarc-noreply@freelists.org \
(mailto:dmarc-noreply@freelists.org)> wrote:  Hi Dario,I'd like to say I think this \
is a very positive development. I'd love to use haiku day to day, but various issues \
stand in the way.  However, I think that working on top of the Linux kernel could \
really allow me to use something close to haiku all the time! I'm sure there are many \
other people in a similar position. So I really hope that your project will grow :)   \
It is definitely possible to have it running on top of linux. But I am only a single \
developer and people interested into this should get together and see what can be \
done.  This isn't exactly a noisy mailing list so I hope that this discussion really \
isn't closed or moved. Had it been on another mailing list I would not have got the \
mail!   Don't worry. No one is going to close this topic. I'd instead ask Alexander \
if he is perhaps using the fact that he is a member of the Haiku Inc. board as an \
intimidation act.   Good morning Dario!

Sorry to hear you feel this way.

I'm not speaking from an official Inc. position when asking you follow the basic \
community defined rules of haiku and haiku-development. I'll re-link it below in-case \
you missed it:

 https://www.haiku-os.org/community/ml

I'm also unsure how my volunteer (unpaid) position on an openly elected board of \
directors could be conceived as an "intimidation act". Who knows, maybe Giovanni, the \
famous American mob boss, should of just taken a seat operating the day-to-day \
(boring) tasks in a not-for-profit.

Sometimes 3rd-party applications or projects are advertised and mentioned on these
mailing lists (which I don't think anyone has any problems with), however discussions \
around how 3rd party applications should be designed are generally taken off-list as \
a best practice.

 "Discussions about 3rd-party applications development should take place on \
haiku-3rdparty  (even if you need information about Haiku internals)."
 -- https://www.haiku-os.org/community/ml

In addition, these 3rd party applications are also generally not launched with the \
goal of being a "Haiku replacement".

Many on this mailing list have an expectation of discussions remaining somewhat civil \
and on-topic to the development and enrichment of the Haiku operating system.

In closing, heading over to the Windows forums and screaming about how much Windows
sucks and how great your new operating system is isn't going to make you many \
friends.

 -- Alexander von Gluck IV