List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: Updating by git if I modify some files in haiku tree?
From:       "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723 () twc ! com>
Date:       2017-05-12 22:45:46

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 04:56:56AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > If I modify some files in haiku tree, would they be overwritten when I run "git \
> > pull" and there is an upstream update for one or more of those files?

> No, git will warn you that it cannot update these files because that
> would overwrite your changes.

> > Changes to files that contain string "HOST_PLATFORM" seem to occur infrequently, \
> > so I suppose in the great majority of cases, if I update (git pull) frequently, \
> > git pull will run as if nothing were amiss.

> Yes, when there are no conflicts.

> > But if one or more such files are updated, I suppose I could delete or move my \
> > version, and run "git pull" again?

> > Or maybe I could run
> > git reset --hard
> > which, so it seems from the documentation, would go back to the upstream \
> > repository version, wiping out my modifications, which I would have saved in \
> > outside location.

> > Would that work?

> Yes. Or as mmu_man suggested, you can use "git stash", which is the git
> way of 'saving outside location'. But if you prefer to do this manually
> for now, it's fine too.

> > Or maybe if the number of files affected is very small, I could download via \
> > gitweb interface, or does that not exist?

> at http://cgit.haiku-os.org. Be sure to get the "plain" files and not
> the HTML formatted versions, of course.

> Adrien.

Thanks for the help, now I know better what to do.

My manual method might be good when changes to affected files are few and infrequent; \
otherwise I would need something like "git stash".

I can run "git help stash", etc., but some things can still be confusing; this is \
also true of subversion, which FreeBSD uses to update source, ports and doc trees.

Getting the plain files, not HTML-formatted versions, is critical.  I also don't want \
to get gzip version as might happen with Lynx, at least under FreeBSD and NetBSD; I \
haven't tried haikuports version.

Tom