List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: gcc version for cross-compiling Haiku?
From:       "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723 () twc ! com>
Date:       2016-10-02 5:53:34

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 07:09:22AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> What is the requirement for gcc version for cross-compiling Haiku from Linux, \
> FreeBSD or possibly NetBSD?
> Does it have to be 4.x, or is the newer 5.x or possibly 6.x OK?
>
> I need to do some system upgrading, and now gcc 5.x and 6.x are more current.
>
> Concern is what is compatible with Haiku: hybrid x86-gcc2, x86 or amd64.
>
> Would there be any specific need to keep gcc 4.x?

Adrien Destugues responded:

> Haiku uses GCC 5.4. Any 5.x version should do. 4.x should still work, I
> don't know if 6.x was tested yet but it should work as well.

> Note that when building Haiku from Linux or *BSD, you will first compile
> the version of GCC we use anyway. The host tools are used only for that
> and a small set of tools run on the host system (to create hpkg files,
> manage file attributes, etc). Haiku itself is always built with its own
> compiler from our "buildtools" git repository.

On FreeBSD or NetBSD, I'd use gcc-aux, which includes Ada, which is an advantage \
especially if I try to cross-compile a Linux toolchain.

I could also try to compile with Clang from FreeBSD, but that might have less chance \
of success.

FreeBSD ports include gcc-aux (with GCC 5.4) and gcc6-aux (with GCC 6.2).

NetBSD pkgsrc includes gcc-aux (GCC 4.9.2) and gcc5-aux (with GCC 5.4).

Tom