List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: Variety of quit/save dialogs
From:       "Humdinger" <humdingerb () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-21 16:59:54

Hi Axel!

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:59:50 +0100 Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > 	[Cancel]                              [Don't Save] [Save]
> >
> > is the way to go. "Cancel" really is the least destructive option,
> > as
> > John noted in the last mail too. Also, it be perfectly consistent
> > with
> > alerts offering only two buttons, "Cancel" and "<action>".
>
> If cancel is the least destructive, why put it that awfully away from
> the rest?

See below.

> And if the order should be least destructive -> most destructive, why
> is
> "Save" on the right?

The default button normally is to the right. Just as the "Cancel" button
is to the left (in two-button alerts).

> In any case, I think the "least destructive" paradigm is not really
> applicable here. I also think that the order of the button is mostly
> random (besides having "Save" right-most). Also, the spacing between
> the
> buttons seems completely arbitrary to me, or do you have a good reason
> why either option should stand out?

The "Cancel" button doesn't really address the question of the alert,
which asks to save or don't save.
It stands out. In case of panic, it jumps right into the users face.
Ugh! :)
It does the same as ESC, which normally sits also to the left.
The close button on window is also to the left, which may trigger the
same dismissive reaction.
Contrary to the other two buttons, it's the only truly non-destructive
option.

Maybe not all huge strong arguments, but together may be just enough to
come to an agreement wrt text, position, spacing.

Regards,
Humdinger