List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] makebootable and GPT partitioned disks
From:       Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-15 9:07:17

This is a followup from the discussion in #8434[1]. Currently
makebootable has disabled support for GPT partitions, as it may
mismatch hybrid GPT/MBR disk partitions writing boot-code to the wrong
partition. (This is true for cross-compiling, another code-path may be
used on Haiku.)

I see two ways of fixing this and there is some discussion in #8434.
Either we add GPT parsing to makebootable, it already has MBR-parsing,
or we add platform specific code to find partition start and size.

As we already do the first I think it would be the preferred choice,
but I'd like to get some clues on if the GPT code is in a workable
state and what is needed to be done.

[1] https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/8434

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH