List:       haiku-development
Subject:    [haiku-development] Re: Small idea for music / sounds in Haiku - Virtual (void)
From:       Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve () computer ! org>
Date:       2012-09-13 22:42:43

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 01:08:18PM -0500, Dane wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2012, at 12:49 PM, pete.goodeve@computer.org wrote:
>
> > I've never been able to play aiff files in any revision of Haiku that
> > I can remember.  You just get hash with both MediaPlayer and SoundPlay.
> > (Actually BamBam will load and play them, but that program's GUI is
> > pretty broken in Haiku.)  I thought I remembered hearing that it was
> > ffmpeg's problem, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > 	-- Pete --
>
> There's an aiff_reader add-on (somewhere in the Haiku tree?) that works fine.  I \
> don't think it's presently included in the official Haiku distro, maybe on the \
> assumption that ffmpeg will handle the job with aiff files.

Hah!  All these little secrets that I never seem to get clued in on... (:-/)
Seems a slightly wrong decision though, as I don't think ffmpeg has
ever played them!

> But we (TT Systems) use the plugin effectively by puttingit in \
> /boot/home/config/settings/add-ons/media/plugins.  I am able to play those system \
> files Pete shared without any trouble on my working Haiku installation using \
> R44242...as well as any other AIFF files I come across.  Without the plugin, I \
> just get static noise when playing back AIFF files.

Yep.  Compiled and installed, and AIFFs now play nicely.  Thanks!

Alpha-4 folks -- you listening?  I think the plugin needs to be in the
distribution, no?

	-- Pete --

[Addendum: there does seem to be a slight bug with the plugin on
my system.  If I click on an AIFF file it plays OK, but if I drop one onto
an already open MedfiaPlayer, it quite possibly won't (the indicator
moves, but no sound emerges).  Other audio types don't seem to
have the problem, though it's erratic enough it's hard to tell.]