List:       hadoop-user
Subject:    Re: error copying file from local to hadoop fs
From:       Jens Scheidtmann <jens.scheidtmann () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-29 20:29:40

Dear Ravi,

2013/3/29 Ravi Chandran <ravichandran777@gmail.com>

> But in standalone mode, should the safemode be faster? I mean because
> everything is running locally. still the deamons are not visible in jps.
> how can i restart it individually?

What do you mean with standalone mode?

"standalone" in the sense of hadoop docs uses it means, no daemons are
running. Everything is done locally (local file system, everything in one
JVM).

"pseudo distributed" means, all daemons of hadoop run on a single node.
Network protocols are used for communication.

Assuming "pseudo distributed" is the set-up you use:

> also, the service status returned this info:
>
> Hadoop namenode is running                                 [  OK  ]
> Hadoop secondarynamenode is not running                    [FAILED]
>
> Is the secondary namenode, not supposed to run in standalone mode? i am
> not able to restart this service also.. it just gives unrecognized service.

In "pseudo distributed" mode, all daemons are expected to run. NameNode,
DataNode, JobTracker, etc.

Check the start-up logs.

Best regards,

Jens