List:       hadoop-user
Subject:    RE: Read/Writing into HDFS
From:       <Ken.Barclay () wellsfargo ! com>
Date:       2010-09-30 22:15:01

Fuse is definitely nice for many situations where you want to be able to use regular \
unix file paths to navigate HDFS (say from automation programs.) I would be cautious \
though in circumstances where you want to *immediately* access data that's been \
copied into HDFS, or where you're depending on a file *actually* being gone from HDFS \
that you deleted.

For such operations you're probably better off using HDFS shell commands, since they \
will take effect immediately. There's a synchronization dance between fuse and HDFS \
that can add a minute or more to the execution time when you do stuff like:

cp -p /tmp/stage/AdminLog.log /mnt/hdfs/user/data/staging

or

rm -f /mnt/hdfs/user/data/staging/*

Cheers,
Ken Barclay

Integration Engineer

Wells Fargo Bank - ISD | 45 Fremont Street, 10th Floor | San Francisco, CA 94105
MAC A0194-100