List:       hadoop-user
Subject:    Re: How to change logging from DRFA to RFA? Is it a good idea?
From:       Steve Loughran <stevel () apache ! org>
Date:       2010-09-29 9:07:08

On 29/09/10 00:12, Alex Kozlov wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> What distribution are you using?  Sometimes the log4j.properties is packed
> inside .jar file, which is picked first, so you need to explicitly give a
> java option '-Dlog4j.configuration=<path-to-your-log4j-file>' in the
> corresponding daemon flags.

You find the JAR which has it in Ant, using the <whichresource> task.
Indeed, that was why we wrote it.

Here's a snippet from one of my buildfiles, tests.run.classpath is the
classpath to run tests that is set up elsewhere

   <target name="find-log4j" depends="ready-to-test"
       description="find log4j property files in the classpath">
     <whichresource resource="/log4j.properties"
         classpathref="tests.run.classpath"
         property="log4j.test.url" />
     <echo>
       Log4J on the test classpath: ${log4j.test.url}
     </echo>

   </target>