List:       gtm-perl
Subject:    Re: [gtm-perl] Seen Bhaskar
From:       Emiliano <emile () iris-advies ! com>
Date:       2001-01-31 23:44:31

Jim Self wrote:

> >They're open to offering a lot of help, including the creation of the
> >DAL for us, but not short-term. They're thinking some 6-8 months, maybe
> >longer. If we manage before it goes to the hoops described above.
>
> Why so long for DAL? Is it just a matter of getting the libraries to build
> or is there something missing from the sources?

OK, having had a wee bit of time to look at the sources:

The sources are not set up to be easily separated into a usable lib
+ frontend applications by a non-insider. The code is uncommented,
variables often without appearant meaning, and the K&R style function
declaration make for hard reading for me. I think there's a pretty
liberal use of globals, but I haven't studied the sources long enough
to see what the scope of each is. I really wish I had more time
to spend on this. Anyhow, it's not going to be a rainy afternoon job.

> >I'll be plugging away at a better build system, possibly beating them to
> >release; they know about this and are proceeding their own way (with
> >communication back and forth) with the makefiles that actually only set
> >up
> >a good environment to call the multitude of scripts that actually build
> >the sources. I am working on a 'normal' autoconf/automake system.
>
> I would like to get Steve Zeck and Ed Clubb actively involved with this. So
> far they have been shy in communicating what they have worked on and, of
> course, there is continual pressure on them for work on other projects. The
> project of getting all our MUMPS applications to run on GT.M is really major
> transformation of our development and computing environment in the VMTH, but
> hard to see for people in the hospital waiting for development of their
> applications.

I couldn't find Steve or Ed in the mailinglist subscription list. I've
made good progress with the build environment lately. If they're
interested
in this, have them contact me or they could subscribe to gtm-perl. For
access to the actual source code (which you need separately) they'll
have
to get in touch with Bhaskar.

Emile