List:       gtm-perl
Subject:    Re: [gtm-perl] All the best for 2001 guys & gals
From:       Emiliano <emile () iris-advies ! com>
Date:       2001-01-10 19:22:14

Thomas Good wrote:

> Have a Happy E-dude.
>
> You know my mom went to Suriname once when I was a kid.

Really? Why? It's a great place to visit if you have family there and
know the sites, but it's a bit expensive to qualify as a holiday spot
when Brazil and the Antilles are around the corner.

> She fished for pirahna (well caught pirahna, was fishing for something
> else...)

:) Catching piranha is easy. When we were young lads <fx: croak, shake,
cough, wave cane> we did it with pieces of red cloth on a hook.
Unedible though. Not actually poisenous but tricky to get off the hook
with both the fish and your fingers intact, and not very tasty.

> and toured Devil's Island.

That's French Guyana. Neighbouring country. Ever seen Pappilion? The
movie about the French penal colony? French Guyana. Devils Island was
a brutal place by the looks of it. But hey, considering these people
live in Paris voluntarily, a penal colony is bound to be horrid.

> Then later my first wife told me she trained there briefly with the
> local variety of coast guard/navy (my ex was a Lt JG in the USCG).
> She gave me a shirt from their Navy - looked something like a
> British Royal Marine blouse.  I sewed a Black Flag on it.  He he.

The girl behind me was way more interesting than the history
lessons in high school, so I can't tell where these uniforms would
fit. British makes me think British Guyana, Surinames' other
neighbour, but that just goes to show how little I picked up in those
lessons. Other than the girl, that is.

Emile