List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: [Re: [gtkmm] Gdome2 wrapper]
From:       Carl Nygard <cjnygard () fast ! net>
Date:       2001-06-30 21:00:56

On 30 Jun 2001 20:09:58 +0000, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Tobias Peters <tpeters@uni-oldenburg.de> wrote:
> > Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > I guess that you are using Ruby to parse the IDL. That's a slight
> > > downside, because it's an extra dependency and a not-so-popular
> > I thought I'd simply distribute the generated C++ code...
>
> OK, but it would still be nice to be able to generate the code again, so you
> should include your generation code in the distribution. Hopefully there would
> be some mechanism to merge your manually coded bits with the generated stuff.
> It would be annoying to recode lots of stuff just because you wanted to make a
> general change to the generated code.

> > the
> > deleted by
> >
> > > Smart pointers are needed, but it should be easy to modify the code
> > > output to generate these.
> >
> > Could you please be more specific. What features should these objects
> > have?
>
> Explicit ref-ing would be unncessary, and the use of instances would be more
> C++-like.

Just a piece of information, there is a very nice smart_ptr
implementation by Kevin S. Van Horn, which provides a template library
for smart pointer of various flavors.  You can have const-following,
NULL (dis)allowing, shared/ref-counted auto-ptr-like or not, etc. etc.
It's really very flexible, and quite stable (I've been using it for at
least two years now, without problems.

It might be useful to use this library, instead of writing your own
smart ptr classes.

Regards,
Carl