List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: [Re: [Re: [gtkmm] New Gnome-- release? ] ]
From:       Karl Nelson <kenelson () ece ! ucdavis ! edu>
Date:       2001-03-31 19:13:19

> Karl Nelson <kenelson@ece.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> > insert_menus even goes so far as tu us the path name for the insertion,
> > but it the names get translated how the hell are we supposed to place this.
> >

> > This is a fundimental flaw in the lower level.  We really shouldn't
> > be trying to solve it as gtk+ needs to fix it.
>
> This is the conclusion that I came to when implementing insert_menus() and
> remove_menus(). At least it is not worse than GTK+.
>
> One of their problems is that there is no standard demonstration of the use o
> this stuff. I often look at Gnumeric code to see how they do stuff, but they
> use bonobo for the menus, and that's another story.

Yep.  This is a big problem.  Rather than cleaning up old methods and
making nice interfaces they basically just keep adding more undocumented
ones. This is why item_menus was left to rot.

This is really in the area where I often look and see if it is easier to
just replicate their code and fix it to be a nice interface.  However,
the problem is so fundimental it really starts in gtk+ and just got
carried to Gnome.  However, no one as ever agreed on a solution for
gtk+ so trying to make up for it in gnome-- is really just creating
their mess at our level.

--Karl