List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: [gtkmm] 64-bit Gtk--/Gnome--
From:       Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner () student ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2001-02-17 18:48:11

Murray Cumming <murrayc@usa.net> writes:

> Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> > Well, I noticed this even happens with the gtk-- examples, which
> > should work.
>
> You said that you were using a 64-bit platform, right? I just noticed this
> thread in the gnome-hackers list:
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2001-February/msg00003.html

Hmm, there isn't very specific information in that thread... And Gnome
programs usually run fine on Alpha.

> I haven't read all of it, but it does seem from first glance that GNOME might
> not be 64-bit compliant. For instance, if a pointer is put in 32bits, then
> some other object could end up being used. Maybe that's why RadioItem stuff is
> showing up in the trace.

Very unlikely. If one changes the upper 32 bits of a pointer on an
Alpha, one will most likely get an invalid pointer (it was designed
that way...)

I just noticed that I get the same problem when I recompile the source
used for the Debian package, whereas the compiled package works. So
the problem is really somewhere in my build environment and not in the
code. I'll try another compiler version (currently I'm using gcc
version 2.95.2).

	Falk