List:       gtkmm
Subject:    [gtkmm] About gtk-- with gcc 3 (snapshots)
From:       Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin () hermes ! usherb ! ca>
Date:       2000-11-30 22:34:44

Hi,

I would like to know what is the status of Gtk-- regarding the upcomming gcc 3.
I ask this because I have a Gtk+ program (which I plan to rewrite using Gtk--)
that's being broken (very) badly by the recent gcc 3 snapshot (and that will
still be broken when gcc 3 is released).

The reason is the new C++ ABI adopted for g++, for which inheritence doesn't
mean that the first inherited class is put at the base of the new structure (If
C derives from A and B, a (C *) to an object != (A *) to the same object). This,
in my case breaks the Gtk+ object system as I use it. I'd like to know whether
Gtk-- relies on the assumption I made and that will not work with gcc 3, or if
the design is made so that it still works. Did anybody sucessfully compile Gtk--
with a gcc 3 snapshot?

Thanks,

	Jean-Marc

P.S. Please also reply directly, as I am not on the mailing list.