List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: Glib::IOChannel or Gio::SocketConnection/IOStream - which one
From:       Carlos Franke <carlos_franke () taunusstein ! net>
Date:       2011-10-11 15:58:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Partial answer to self:

Looking at the header files <glibmm/iochannel.h> and
<giomm/socketconnection.h>, it appears that Gio::SocketConnection pulls
in a bunch of giomm-dependencies (socket.h, enums.h, iostream.h and
thus inputstream.h, outputstream.h, asyncresult.h, cancellable.h),
while Glib::IOChannel only relies on basic Glib stuff (error.h, main.h,
refptr.h, ustring.h). I have not done any test compilations, but I
reckon that IOChannel is more lightweight than SocketConnection if one
is not using all the other Gio stuff anyway.

I am going for IOChannel for now.