List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: gtkmm and cygwin
From:       Antonio Coralles <noche.suapie () reflex ! at>
Date:       2004-12-08 2:58:24

cedric.gustin@swing.be wrote:

> Antonio Coralles wrote:
>
> > At first: thanks for your anser; i've now removed cygwin completly from
> > my system, installed MinGW and MSYS and reinstalled both gtk+ and gtkmm.
> > Stupidly my problem remains the same; i can compile but cannot link
> > (i've tried it from both the normal windows commandline and from MSYS).
> >
> > Here are some snapshots from my system:
> >
> > This is a small part of the linker output:
> > undefined reference to
> > `Gtk::Widget::on_button_press_event(_GdkEventButton*)'
> > ../../../objectFiles/shiftTableBox.o(.data$_ZTC13shiftTableBox0_N3Gtk6WidgetE+0x70):c:/GTK/include/gdkmm-2.4/gdkmm/window.h: \
> >

> > undefined reference to
> > `Gtk::Widget::on_button_release_event(_GdkEventButton*)'
> > ../../../objectFiles/shiftTableBox.o(.data$_ZTC13shiftTableBox0_N3Gtk6WidgetE+0x74):c:/GTK/include/gdkmm-2.4/gdkmm/window.h: \
> >

> > undefined reference to `Gtk::Widget::on_scroll_event(_GdkEventScroll*)'
> > ../../../objectFiles/shiftTableBox.o(.data$_ZTC13shiftTableBox0_N3Gtk6WidgetE+0x78):c:/GTK/include/gdkmm-2.4/gdkmm/window.h: \
> >

> > undefined reference to
> > `Gtk::Widget::on_motion_notify_event(_GdkEventMotion*)'
>
> Try to upgrade your gcc to 3.4.2 (available from http://www.mingw.org).
> Might be a name mangling and compatibility problem between gcc 3.2 and
> 3.4. You might also want to use the -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc
> option at link time if you get "auto-import" errors.
>
> Cedric

thank you very much for your help. i've now managed to compile and LINK
a more or less simple gtkmm application. At first i tried to simply
upgrade to gcc 3.4.2 and then to compile and link from the commandline.
but that didn't really work. Then i installed dev-cpp together with
mingw-3.3. I was succesfull in building a test application. but the
generated exe file  didn't really do much more than producing a
segfault. After that i remerbered you telling me to try gcc 3.4.2. i
removed dev-cpp, installed mingw with gcc 3.4.2 and then dev-cpp again
without mingw. that seems to work better. the segfaults are gone and a
window appeared.

Now the problem that remains is:
In this window i've a Gtk::Layout which should normally do/draw
something that depends on mouse events. While the contents of my layout
look like they should, it remains completly irgnorant to mouse events.

besides i noticed some things which are not easy to understand:
gtkmm only works for me if i install it directly into my dev-cpp folder;
and even if dev-cpp is able to compile and link a gtkmm-app this is not
neccesairly true for compiling and linking in the MSYS/native M$ shell
using pkg-config.

regards,
                antonio