List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: [gtkmm] 1.3.12 + TreeView problems
From:       murrayc () t-online ! de (Murray Cumming)
Date:       2002-04-27 19:37:03

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 21:12, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > > How about this one: the GTK+ 2.0 TreeView demo code, run through a2ps,
> > > is 7 pages.
> >
> > What TreeView demo code?
>
> Sorry--tree_store.c versus example_treeview_treestore.cc.
>
> > The C++ code has more comments and more structure. We'd like
> > constructive criticism but this is not helpful.
>
> I'd dispute the `more structure'; the C version is fairly readable and
> comprehensible, which (in my experience) has been tightly coupled to
> structure.  The C API is still too complicated, but...

The C GtkTreeView code in the original gtk-demo is complete rubbish.
Probably the only C code that properly demonstrates how to use
GtkTreeView is in the "paned" example. I know - I've tried to find out
what it all does.

> I'll repeat here my original constructive comment: the API is too
> complex for those tasks where you don't need the thermonuclear power of
> the GTK+ tree widget.

I'll snip the rest of your mail because you had not yet looked at the
stockbrowser example in gtk-demo. When you do you should see that it's
not as bad as you imagine.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net