List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: C99 complex types in Glib
From:       CaStarCo <castarco () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-11 6:52:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello :)

2010/12/11 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi@gmail.com>

> hi;
>
> glib development is discussed on the gtk-devel mailing list, but I can
> directly answer to you right now.
>
> On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 00:19 +0100, CaStarCo wrote:
>
> > I write here because i have many doubts and because i want to
> > contribute with my code to the Glib library ^^ .
>
> cool, contributions are much welcome...
>
> > The first doubt is : The Glib project is using the C99 spec or the C89
> > spec?
>
> for portability reasons, GLib follows the C89 spec. the C99 spec is not
> fully implemented by all compilers on all platforms we're tracking, so
> it cannot be used.
>
> > If it's the second case... there is any way to contribute to Glib
> > adding support to the complex floating point types that C99 introduced
> > in the year 2000 ?
>
> honestly, I doubt this is a compelling enough use case to introduce new
> types; applications that require complex floating point types will also
> require other ad hoc facilities that GLib does not provide.

I don't think so :p , one usage example: extending the Vala language, in any
case, the complex.h header provides simple functions to work with complex
numbers.

Another usage example: simplify the code of, for example, gcalctool.

In any case, if the reasons of not extending Glib are related with
compatibility, that's a stronger reason :) .

> nevertheless, if new types have been introduced and if they can be
> checked at configure-time, then they may be supported by wrapping them,
> in to provide a graceful degradation path.

I have a doubt about that. To introduce a type following the way you
described... I must create another "mini library" inside the Glib?

> code contributions for GLib go through Bugzilla:
>
>  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=glib
>
> ciao,
>  Emmanuele.

Thanks for your atention!

--
- Per la llibertat del coneixement -
- Per la llibertat de la ment...       -