List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    RE: Why is GCompletion deprecated
From:       Shawn Bakhtiar <shashaness () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-28 18:54:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

From and outsiders perspective....

I too would absolutely LOVE this feature. Not just in GTK, but in OS X as well. the \
OS X NSSearchField however (to my shock!) does not implement this functionality \
either.

Apple has exposed this in the NSTextView (with spell check et al...) which is akin to \
GTKTextView. I suppose one could create a single line text view. In any case it seems \
like this would be a GREAT end user tool to be included in an application. I am \
surprised to read there is not that much use of it.

As for the word deprecated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated) when I see this \
word anywhere it makes me RUN. I know that sooner or later that feature is NOT going \
to be there no matter how much I want it to be. So I can certainly (as a user of the \
library) understand why one would assume that deprecated also means DON'T work on it \
any more.  I try to choose long lived objects, could it be that its use has been \
limited by placing a status of deprecated on it?

My users are constantly looking up customer information. I want to give the CEO a \
tool by which he can pull up snapshots of customers by simply put in a word like \
"color" in the text field, and have all possible customers with that word "color" in \
their name appear. This seems to me like a must have for people at his level as they \
have 0 typing skills, and do not know any of the customer account numbers, and since \
99% of all business do deal with some number of customers, and invariably have CEO \
who still pigeon pick at the keyboard, this type of functionality is not just useful, \
but gets us big pats on the back.

At the end of the day, I can certainly do it "programmaticly", but is the point of a \
library NOT to have to app developers re-writing the same type of code? Of course \
this is beyond what is offered on the base platforms themselves.

Thanks for reading my rant,
Shawn