List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: help on disabling file-chooser
From:       Ruben <rtmoran () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-31 18:49:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Maybe I didn't explained myself,

Is not a license concern, just techical- Has nothing to do with that.

What I need is to customize GTK with file-chooser
disabled/removed/noreferenced on my compiled library, just
doing nothing when a save file signal is generated.

 The app that runs above makes a call to save a file on the system, and
leaves this GTK window opened breaking the normal operation flow.

Cheers.

2010/1/31 Kevin Krieser <k_krieser@sbcglobal.net>

> On Jan 31, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>
> > Sounds like an exercise in futility.
> >
> > If you are doing this to prevent people from saving something because
> > of commercial/security/whatever interests, and if the users will have
> > a real interest in working around the limitations you try to impose,
> > they will. And there is nothing you can do to stop them.
> >
> > The very purpose of the license of GTK+ (LGPL) is to allow your users
> > to replace GTK+ with a modified version. For instance one where they
> > have re-instated the functionality you have removed.
> >
> > The same license that gives you the right to modify GTK+ gives the
> > end-users of your modified version the right to revert the
> > modification, and share such a reverted copy with others as they
> > please.
> >

> I don't know the original poster's requirements, but I've worked on
> projects where we have limited the access of the user of the application.
>  In our case, even the non GPL code is provided to the customer, so they
> retain the rights to modify the code later, etc.
>
> In more embedded type systems, you generally want to limit the damage that
> the user can do, normally inadvertent.  Would you really want a file chooser
> in, say, an ATM?
>
> Obviously the OP's is using non GPL code in the 3rd party libraries, or he
> could fix it there easier.  If his customer decides to remove this
> limitation, it is out of his hands.

Ruben Tato