List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    GktTextTag::show-with-bling
From:       Ignacio Casal Quinteiro <nacho.resa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-20 13:20:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Today I was chatting with tbf in the irc, about implementing something like:
http://www.cidadedomoble.com/smultron/a.swf

for gtksourceview. But finally he said that I should point this here as
would
be better implement it in gtk+ directly.

Here you have the chat:

<nacho> tbf, I think you kind of a cairo guru, any tip to make something
like http://www.cidadedomoble.com/smultron/a.swf with cairo for
gtksourceview?
<robtaylor> nacho: shiny
<robtaylor> nacho: should be doable with compositing
<nacho> robtaylor, any example on how to make it with compositing?
<nacho> no idea about developing with compositing stuff
<tbf> nacho, robtaylor: this doesn't even need composition
<tbf> nacho, robtaylor: i'd just create a GtkTextTag and use this
information to do a regular animation
<tbf> nacho, robtaylor: maybe even could be directly added to gtk+ by
introducing some new GtkTextTag property
<tbf> GktTextTag::show-with-bling
<robtaylor> tbf: you're the expert :)
<nacho> would be great
<amigadave> GtkTexTag::pimp-my-tag
<nacho> tbf, don't think is even neccessary create a tag, we have the start
and the end iters, what I don't know is how to create the animation
<tbf> nacho: well, but you want to keep that tag highlighted
<tbf> nacho: so you need this anyway
<nacho> the tag is already highlighted by gtk
<tbf> nacho: didn't i just say, this bling probably should be directly added
to gtk?
<nacho> I mean when you select some text, that's already highlighted, I
wanna add a func in gsv to select with effect
<tbf> nacho: i'd suggest you raise this topic on gtk-devel-list
<nacho> ok
<tbf> nacho: especially as also the theme-engine guys would like to join the
discussion
<murrayc> Couldn't you just start a timeout callback that changed the color
of the tag?
<nacho> murrayc, that was I was thinking in the first place
<nacho> but if tbf says that should go in gtk+ maybe it is better
<nacho> less work to me
<tbf> nacho, murrayc: first experiments could be done that way
<tbf> nacho, murrayc: and the implementation in gtk would look similar
<murrayc> yeah
<tbf> nacho, murrayc: in the end my point just is, that i would be nice if
that code would be done i a generic way