List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Merging gio into glib
From:       Alp Toker <alp () atoker ! com>
Date:       2007-11-14 16:32:01

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> This seem like a totally backwards implementation. You're enforcing a
> weird non-native dependency on dbus for windows. A better approach would
> be to have a platform independent api for notification (possibly in
> Gtk). This api would then have a unix implementation, and a win32
> implementation. There is no reason at all for the win32 implementation
> to use dbus. If there is no exposed win32 apis for doing notification
> the best approach would imho be to implement those using win32 native
> APIs (i.e. DCE/COM/OLE, not depending on dbus at all).

D-Bus over named pipes on Windows solves the same issues as D-Bus over
UNIX sockets, and provides an elegant solution for porting necessary
Freedesktop infrastructure to Windows without having to write a whole
new platform, which nobody's going to do. I've worked extensively with
OLE, COM and even DDE (guessing that's what you meant), and don't really
understand what you're suggesting we do with them, and why D-Bus isn't a
better choice.

I also think this thread is getting pretty stale, but thanks for sharing
your thoughts.