List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: printing dialog update...
From:       "Alberto Ruiz" <aruiz () gnome ! org>
Date:       2007-08-08 14:55:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2007/7/26, peter sikking <peter@mmiworks.net>:

> Hey Sean,
>
> third time lucky.
>
> > I've said it before on your blog, and I'll say it again:
> >
> > The drop-down for printer selection WILL NOT WORK!
>
> there is no need to shout.
>
> From working on this project with the pros from the printer
> manufacturers, I know that there are organisations where all
> worldwide printers live in the same network zone. That is
> 10.000 (or was it 100.000) printers.
>
> That pop-up list will contain the printers that are installed,
> not all the ones on the network.

Errr I thought that we were moving towards a zeroconf /bluetooth model where
hardware is discovered and exposed on the ui automatically. I find the
Installed/available split artifitial and far for being JustWorks(tm)
compilant.

Are you taking into account this hardware behaviour somehow?

BTW, even if I think that the proposals needs work, I think that the
progress you've been doing is remarkable,  keep up the good work.

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz