List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Pluggable widget types and implementations
From:       Tim Janik <timj () imendio ! com>
Date:       2006-12-10 13:21:00

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 18:36 +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
>
>> i'm still interested in hearing use cases for multiple factories though,
>> so if anyone has arguments for allowing multiple GFactory* handles instead
>> of just two "singleton" functions:
>>
>>    /* craete instance conforming to prerequisite_type */
>>    g_factory_create (GType prerequisite_type);
>>
>>    /* appoint an implementaiton_type for a prerequisite_type */
>>    g_factory_appoint_type (GType prerequisite_type,
>>                            GType implementation_type);
>
> I think the terms "appoint" and "prerequisite" are a bit confusing.
>
> I'd prefer the simpler:
>    g_factory_create (GType type);
>
>    g_factory_override_type (GType original_type,
>                             GType override_type);

well, "prerequisite" is consistent with established naming in the type system,
and "override" doesn't really seem appropriate if prerequisite_type is a
non-instantiale interface type, and implementation_type is an instance type
which happens to implement the interface type.

any other suggestions for replacing "appoint"?

> Damon

---
ciaoTJ