List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: GTK+ canvas?
From:       Rick L Vinyard Jr <rvinyard () cs ! nmsu ! edu>
Date:       2006-09-12 2:11:05

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> e.g. the HippoCanvas I wrote in 3 days lacks some stuff (i.e. I didn't
> bother to support events other than button press), but it's already more
> useful than GnomeCanvas because it supports layout (width-for-height
> layout even). I'm sure the other more serious existing implementations
> have also surpassed GnomeCanvas already.

Basing a canvas on cairo requires very little to surpass GnomeCanvas.
For example, I put down some rough thoughts here:
     http://libpapyrus.sourceforge.net/gnomecanvasmm.php

I think perhaps my goals and the design of papyrus are a little
different from the general discussion I've seen in this thread. In
particular, my interest lies in diagrammatic reasoning, visual
languages, and in particular rule-based visual languages.