List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Resizing events
From:       muppet <scott () asofyet ! org>
Date:       2006-01-31 5:51:27

On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:55 PM, Faqeer ALI wrote:

>  Sir  Can u just give me some idea about resizing.

This list is for discussion of development of the gtk+ library.  Your
question is appropriate for gtk-app-devel-list@gnome.org, which is
for discussion of development using gtk+.

Also, please do not start a new thread by responding to an old thread.

> i want to resize my custom control as its parent window gets
> resized. my custom control consists of buttons arranged on gtkfix.
> please tell the events that i have to catch, and resizing functions.

By using GtkFixed, you are bypassing pretty much all of the automatic
resizing logic in gtk+.  Since you use the term "control" instead of
"widget", i presume you're coming from a Win32 background; Win32
primarily uses fixed layout, so reasonably that would be your first
thought.  However, gtk+ primarily uses "packing" schemes.  The
tutorial describes this: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/c374.html#SEC-
THEORYOFPACKINGBOXES

Boxes and tables will allocate space to their children on resizes, by
emitting the size-allocate signal.  Widgets may request a certain
size by responding to the size-request signal.

Please read the admonitions about the use of GtkFixed in the
description section of its page in the API reference: http://
developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkFixed.html#desc

If you insist on attaching your custom buttons to a GtkFixed, then
you will have to connect to the GtkFixed's size-allocate signal, and
in that handler recalculate all of your widgets' positions and call
gtk_fixed_move() to relocate them, and gtk_widget_size_allocate() to
resize them.  That is, you'll be reinventing the wheel.

--
I think it worked on the Wiley Coyote model of project management - if
at any point you looked down and realised what you were doing was