List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: screen eyedropper
From:       "J.W. Bizzaro" <bizzaro () bc ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-10 21:09:52

Hi Greg :-)

CDE (Common Desktop Environment), the Motif desktop by The Open Group, has a
screen eyedropper so you can select colors from any application on the screen.
I think the SGI desktop (Indigo Magic?) lets you do the same thing, but I'm not
sure.

Jeff

NNY wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Michael ROGERS wrote:
>

> > >i guess i'll anounce when i get this new color selection widget done. is
> > >nyone other than myself interested in a color selection that doesn't
> > >necessarily have so much stuff?
> > >
> > >i plan on making it a bit more configurable. ie. everything, hsv sliders
> > >and wheel only, rgb sliders and wheel only, wheel only, etc.
> >
> > Is there any chance you could add en eye dropper (for selecting a colour
> > from elswhere on the screen)?
> >

> > Michael Rogers
> >

> hmmm. making an eyedropper to get colors from the screen in general would
> prove diffivult, at least i think that it would. somehow, you'd have to
> grab priority on the pointer so that any clicking will be passed to your
> app rather than whatever is clicked on. is this even possible? maybe
> there's another way?
>
> netscape has locked up on me before, rendering the pointer useless no
> matter where on the screen i moved it. i assume that it was still under
> the control of the locked netscape, so maybe it is possible for a program
> to keep control over the pointer.
>
> it doesn't seem likely that such an eyedropper can be done, especially not
> by me :) but if anyone has any ideas as to how this can be done, i'll give
> it a shot. it would be a fairly useful feature.
>
> thanks
>
> http://www.op.net/~finklesk/index.html
>
> "The problem is not that the world is full of fools. The problem is that
> lightning isn't being distributed right." - Mark Twain
>
> --

                   |           J.W. Bizzaro             |
                   |      jeff@theopenlab.uml.edu       |
                   |       THE OPEN COLLABORATORY       |